From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joachim Jr, Martin D
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 9:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: a NACO question

I have a problem when upgrading records with local headings to PCC status.  I am currently working on a project to enhance the cataloging of the incunabula in the Lilly Library at Indiana University and enter this cataloging into OCLC.  Most of the records in OCLC are brief and require a lot of editing.  The records are being enhanced to full PCC
level.  The problem is with records that have local fields, usually 700 fields that indicate former owners of particular items.  As a PCC cataloger, I don't think that it should be my job to create an authority record for a local heading in someone else's local catalog. I don't feel right about deleting such headings from national database records although I do routinely delete such headings from records that have been added to our own local files.  Has any other PCC cataloger dealt with this situation, and how have you handled it?  Can we consider making such headings ($5 for institution for which field applies) exceptions to the rules that all headings in PCC records must be supported by authority records?  I must admit, however, that I don't like the idea of making exceptions to what constitutes a PCC-level record.

Marty Joachim
Lilly Library
Indiana University Libraries