I think these attributes are used for difference purposes.  We use the
'type' attribute to trigger the stylesheet to display a particular label
and we don't generally normalize except in the high-level <did> or at
the component collection level <c01>.  So one functions as a qualifier
to the type of data and the other encodes the data to machine-readable
standards.

Mark Carlson
Computer Support Analyst
Special Collections