> what's the point of marking any of the unitdates with type="inclusive", especially if those
> elements also contain a normal attribute?

The simple presence of a normal attribute doesn't tell you whether the range is inclusive or bulk, which may be pretty important.  With this:

     <unitdate type="inclusive" normal="1950/1980">

I know that ALL items in the folder fall in that range, whereas with this:

     <unitdate type="bulk" normal="1950/1980">

I know that MOST items in the folder are in that range.  However, with this:

     <unitdate normal="1950/1980">

I can't be sure which it is.  So from the perspective of precision, it's important.  On the other hand, I agree that using inclusive for something like 2010-07-29 is a bit redundant :)

Michele