At 12:56 PM 8/19/2010, you wrote:
>Interesting that all those archives bought acidic sleeves.  I wonder
>what they're using them for.

1)  Perhaps some of them have run a cost/benefit analysis and
determined that there are better ways of spending their money (and
your tax dollars) in a tight economy than using sleeves that are
worth more than the recordings they are meant to protect.

2)  I still haven't heard any report of non-archival card stock
sleeves damaging vintage recordings, regardless of value.

3)  People oftentimes have the erroneous notion that unless a piece
of paper is "acid-free," it will crumble to dust within the next few
years. In fact, just because paper has a certain degree of acid
content, that doesn't mean that it won't be perfectly serviceable for
the next 50 or 100 years - especially when stored in
climate-controlled conditions.

Kurt Nauck
c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
22004 Sherrod Ln.