The act of printing and issuing them is an
inherent act of copyright.

Is that right?  I thought when you published something without
copyrighting it, the work was automatically in the public domain.

Dick

Malcolm Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
08/08/2010 12:22 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Research--old issues

Oh, I already have issues 1 thru 60 digitized as gif files. Did it years
ago when Ty Settlemier and I decided we wanted to issue the entire run
on a CD. We were going to charge $30 a pop for them. Then we ran up
against copyright problems. No one seems to know who the copyrights
belong to. Lenny's having or having not copywritten any of them with the
fed makes no difference. The act of printing and issuing them is an
inherent act of copyright and it will depend to any living relative, of
which none can be found. This doesn't mean they're not out there, though.
The scans are done in two parts, one for the copy and another for the
photos, both as gif files. There were no grants involved.
If someone wants to finish the scans for issues 61 - 74 I'll throw in my
60 cents worth plus the index as well, which has already been published
by Ty and I. I have a graphics person here that can print as many CDs,
with label graphics, on demand as needed - no need to go to a commercial
pressing facility at all.
If anyone is serious about publishing and taking on these
responsibilities then contact me and we can talk about it.
Malcolm

*******