I dont know that i prefer analogue  over  digital restoration.... i use a combination of both depending on the nature of the material i am transferring to cd.
My first analogue black box is a 31 band  1/3 octave equalizer which i use for playback equalization. I have a flat preamp and starting with known recording curves  tweek the curve so it sounds natural.
Another very useful analog tool is  the professional "Dynafex DX2" for reducing surface noise hiss.  Designed for tv and analogue  tape  transferring from non noise reduction encoded  material (78s etc).
The Dynafex is a noise gate which reduces the band with during softer passages and open up  with increasing signal amplitude. It also includes aural exciter to enhance the  highs  so there in no apparent  loss of hi frequency  definition.
How about those  flat sounding compressed  discs and tapes  .... my DBX 2DX does wonders bringing them back to life.  This is a  3 band frequency divided veriable  ratio expander  which reverses the compression used in the disc recording process.
At this point im ready to use Brians Declick digital program ... thus starting any digital processing of the signal i have digitized with an MAudio 2496 sound card,
Theres where i begin  hope it helps
dn