Do you have all the pieces? (I missed any other parts of this discussion.)
If so, or even most of them, I would hold out on completely ruining the
recording with a spray until you know that imaging technology, such as that
being developed at the Lawrence Berkeley Labs and other places, could not
restore the sound. I think that you need to protect this recording from
those who seek to destroy it in order to have something to hang on a wall.

Sam