When I began manufacture of our line of record sleeves
(Disc-O-Files), I considered acid-free card stock. However, the cost
would have doubled and I saw no tangible benefit to be gained. In
fact, I queried ARSCList and 78-L for opinions on the matter. No one
had ever seen a record damaged by an acid-laden sleeve. (Nor have I,
and I've probably handled more vintage records than anybody on the planet.)

Since introducing the Disc-O-File line, I have sold hundreds of
thousands of sleeves to customers including the Belfer Audio Archive,
the Library of Congress, the Ward Irish Music Archives, the BBC
Broadcast Archive, the National Library of Canada, Harvard
University, the International Piano Archives, the National Library of
New Zealand, the First Generation Radio Archives, the Georgia Music
Hall of Fame, Pennsylvania State University, and the Yale University
Music Library. That is not to say that any of these institutions
endorse the product, nor am I suggesting that they use the sleeves
for any given purpose. Some of these institutions use DOFs to house
their primary collections; others used acid-free stock. Some prefer
sleeves with flaps and no label holes; others do not.

For the most part though, it appears that acidity has not been an
issue. In fact, the design of the sleeves coupled with the fact that
they come in 11 different sizes has convinced many users to resleeve
their entire collection with DOFs.

For more information, go to www.78rpm.com and click on the
Disc-O-File Sleeves button.

Kurt Nauck