From: Kurt Nauck <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, August 19, 2010 10:02:26 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] record sleeves

When I began manufacture of our line of record sleeves (Disc-O-Files), I
considered acid-free card stock. However, the cost would have doubled and I saw
no tangible benefit to be gained. In fact, I queried ARSCList and 78-L for
opinions on the matter. No one had ever seen a record damaged by an acid-laden
sleeve. (Nor have I, and I've probably handled more vintage records than anybody
on the planet.)

Since introducing the Disc-O-File line, I have sold hundreds of thousands of
sleeves to customers including the Belfer Audio Archive, the Library of
Congress, the Ward Irish Music Archives, the BBC Broadcast Archive, the National
Library of Canada, Harvard University, the International Piano Archives, the
National Library of New Zealand, the First Generation Radio Archives, the
Georgia Music Hall of Fame, Pennsylvania State University, and the Yale
University Music Library. That is not to say that any of these institutions
endorse the product, nor am I suggesting that they use the sleeves for any given
purpose. Some of these institutions use DOFs to house their primary collections;
others used acid-free stock. Some prefer sleeves with flaps and no label holes;
others do not.

For the most part though, it appears that acidity has not been an issue. In
fact, the design of the sleeves coupled with the fact that they come in 11
different sizes has convinced many users to resleeve their entire collection
with DOFs.

For more information, go to www.78rpm.com and click on the Disc-O-File Sleeves
button.

Kurt Nauck