From: "Cary Ginell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] music man murray record collection & Murray Gershenz, music collector
extraordinaire, is parting with his entire music library.

The point differentiating "stock" from "collection" is well-taken in this case. To my knowledge,
Murray as never been anything but a shopkeeper. He has no private collection to my knowledge and
really isn't all that concerned with the finer points of discographical research as are serious
collectors. He never worked hard to make his a better business. He just opened his doors and
expected to sell his schlock for whatever ridiculous prices he posted on them. He has been reviled
in L.A. for decades as being a grumpy, mean, brusque, and difficult person. The last time I visited
his shop was maybe 25-30 years ago, when it was on Santa Monica Blvd. near Western, a bad part of
town even then. What he's got now is most likely the same stuff, only rifled through even further.
There may be some choice items that he set aside (some of which he has displayed during interviews),
but I can almost guarantee that they are a miniscule percentage of his holdings and certainly not
representative of all that is there. If his business were doing well, he wouldn't need to find a new
profession at his advanced age. He could have just dumped what was left and gone off to some island
in blissful retirement. But creating a new image of himself as a "lovable old coot" on TV shows is
easier for him and probably earns him a much better income than selling records. If these records
end up in a land fill somewhere, they probably won't be missed.

Cary Ginell