Fascinating!

In all of the years I've been in and around the Entertainment
Industry, I never knew of the use of the 17.5mm format at CBS Radford.
It's also interesting that CBS would go to the trouble to customize a
format that, in the end, would give them roughly the quality of 16mm
Mag.

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering

Quoting Roderic G Stephens <[log in to unmask]>:

> If I'm not mistaken, I think I recall 17.5 being used by the film
> sound effects department at CBS Studio Center in Studio City. By
> having all those sound effects "units" in that format,  it literally
> cut in half the cost of the film stock, and in running it at half
> the speed of 35MM at 45ft/min, it cut the cost in half again.  I
> know the sound effects editors hated it and call it "spaghetti",
> since it would easily curl up on itself if it wasn't held taunt.
> I think the Larson Studios and others in Hollywood can still handle it.
> Rod

This message was sent using QNET Webmail