  On 8/20/2010 12:51 PM, David Breneman wrote:
> --- On Thu, 8/19/10, Michael Biel<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>
>> It may have run at a non-standard speed because Cinerama
>> frames are six
>> perforations high instead of four.  There are a number
>> of Cinerama
>> collectors, and one had a set-up in a Dayton, Ohio theatre
>> where
>> original prints were shown each weekend for about 6 years.
> When Paul Allen restored the Cinerama Theater in Seattle
> he restored, and installed a complete Cinerama system
> including the louvered screen.  Although most of the films
> shown are current releases, they show original Cinerama
> prints there during the Seattle Film Festival.

Leah and I stayed at a motel a block or two away during ARSC.  We didn't
know they really did have a Cinerama set up, just thought they still
used the name and logo.

>   I had
> tickets to see "This is Cinerama" there at the grand-re-
> opening of the theater, but had to be in traffic court
> instead.  At least I got off. :-)

Of course that could be taken several different ways!  The clean one
being that you got off of the roller coaster -- if you need to get off
of the coaster in the film's opening scene you just shut your eyes!

When I saw the film in Dayton I was especially looking forward to the
surround sound of the choir going in and out of the church -- was it in
Rome?  I remembered that from when I was a kid.  It turns out the
movement from the rear to the front is FAKE!  OBVIOUSLY fake!!!  The
Cinerama collector running the show couldn't believe it, but it is
easily provable.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]