From: "Roderic G Stephens" <[log in to unmask]>
> Hi Timothy,
> Well, it's probably my fault that we've gotten so far off the "16MM mag
> sound film" subject, but I've found it informative as far as updating my
> dated experiences with film.  In latter years, I was lucky to move over to
> digital editing which became the better tool for me to do what I had first
> learned to do with a Moviola and film bench.
> Ironically, your mention of the mag-striped 20th Century Fox Cinemascope
> release prints brought back how I started on my film career in 1955 as a
> theater projectionist in my off-duty hours in the Army.  I'd been only
> doing it a few months when they installed the first Cinemascope system at
> the main theater.  I had the thrill of running "The Student Prince" in
> stereo and surround sound with Mario Lanza singing those ringing high C's.
> I couldn't believe I was making a few extra dollars to hear and see this
> new marvel.  Little did I realize that I had also been bitten by the movie
> bug which launched me into my final Hollywood career. I'm sure others of
> our group can tell of such life changing events.  God moves in mysterious
> ways, etc.....
> Rod

My point being...I STILL fondly recall a time when one went to "a movie/
the movies" to be entertained...NOT to be part of a SERIOUS discussion
of the particular film and its position in the all-encompassing "ranking"
of CINEMA!! There were a very few movies made with the intent of
providing ENTERTAINMENT...and NOT as statements in the hierarchy
of "important cinematic phenomena!!"

Anyone else recall "Uptown Sarurdat Night" (which IIRC had a sequel?!)
or "Support Your Local Sherriff"...?! OVERstudying is a VERY real
danger...?!

Do I start listening to my half-vast archive of 78's to try and figure
out if the Eb in bar 23 is an important statement...to be studied
and defined in university courses? After all.it COULD have been
an E-natural...or an F...?!

Steven C. Barr