I hope this gets posted all right. I seem to have problems about  doing
that. But I mean well.

  The message about Dayton's in NYC rings a bell for me. I remember  being
in Manhattan in 1974/5. A friend took me to Dayton's and other  stores.
Wasn't there also Darton's? And the Seventh Avenue Record Exchange. A  small
shop with all of the records on shelves behind the counter. I  was especially
eager to get Victor LM-1760, Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto with  Milstein,
Munch, and the BSO. A short-lived LP, even then long out of print. The
proprietor had one and pulled it off the shelf. After some conversation he  said
"$20.00." I was a penurious kid then, and had to say no. (I later  found a nice
copy for much less.)

  I was told later that the owner of the store had been murdered by  some
robber who came in during the day and instead of just letting him get away,
the owner chased him out onto Seventh Avenue, with which the robber shot
him to death.

  I remember that his widow went on with the Seventh Avenue Record
Exchange for a while thereafter. My friend and I were in NYC then and old LPs  came
up at Ludus Tonalis. Someone said, referring to the Seventh Avenue widow,
"have you checked with the spider lady?"

  Steve Smolian and perhaps others will know the entire,  correct stories.

  Don Tait