-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Biel
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 5:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] music man murray record collection & Murray
Gershenz, music collector extraordinaire, is parting with his entire music
library.

  On 8/20/2010 10:57 AM, David Seubert wrote:
> The Record Collector is owned by Sanders Chase. I've only met him once
> so I will refrain from commenting on my impressions of his character,
> but there are plenty of people on Yelp who have no shame about such
> things.
>
> http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-record-collector-los-angeles
>
> David Seubert

And a further reference from one of the writers to this page.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/entity.php?id=6737

I'm glad this discussion came up, because after seeing his little spot
on the Modern Marvels Retro-tech program  I was going to suggest to Cary
that perhaps a panel on LA area record stores like this one be done at
ARSC.  On the program he did do rants exactly like the web comments
describe, but I didn't realize that this rant was repeated for every
customer!!!  When a store's stock is too big, when it starts to be a
collection rather than store stock, it usually means that the owner
doesn;t really want to sell and thus the prices are too high.  He has
been in business since 1974 and has been in this expensive location
since 1999 so he must sell SOMETHING.  I think it should be illegal for
a store to have unpriced merchandise as a policy.  Sure with a large
stock there might be unmarked items, and certainly there are things
which become more valuable over time, but to NEVER mark a price on
merchandise should be illegal.  He looks like he would size you up to
see what you could be convinced to pay, but also looks like the kind of
guy who would not give someone a break and might get his jollies by
having stuff that you saps can't afford.

I am trying to think of what I could ask for to get his scent off of my
trail, but I know that is I ask for some items I REALLY do want, the
price will now double.   I do have three strong specific wants, and I
suppose I could as for a similar item on the hopes that maybe the ones I
want might be in the same bin.

I've encountered stores like this in the past -- no browsing, must state
specific wants.  What they don't understand is that if I ask for a
specific record either they have it or not,  If they have it I buy ONE
record.  If the don't I buy NONE.  If I browse I probably buy dozens.
First time was in NYC in the 60s when I was in high school or college.
It may have been Meltzer';s shop in midtown.  When challenged I said
"Danny Kaye The Court Jester on Decca."   It was already rare and I DID
want it.  "Got it" he said and he disappeared in the back.  I browsed
for a minute and he came back with it.  I started to look at the disc
and he said "No need to take it out, it's in perfect shape."  "How
much?"  "Five bucks."  I took out the cash and then walked out with just
one record.  I might have bought more.  And I never bothered to
retturn.  The other time it hapopened was in Chicago, on the North Side,
in a store I remember having to walk down a few steps to.  It was a
Saturday, place was empty.  "No browsing.  What you want?"   I gave him
a title.  "Nope."  Gave him another.  "Nope."  I started to browse
again.  "No browsing."  I walked with no records.  I can think of very
few instances when THAT happens!

I'll probably spend my record buying time during ARSC LA in Amoeba. Leah
found some great stuff there in just the one hour before they closed.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]