  Hello, all!  Educate me, please!

A web site that offers MP3s on CD media makes this claim:

> The pre-1972 selections on these MP3s are assumed to be in the PUBLIC
> DOMAIN. Further, they were digitized by the --company name-- team from
> analog sources in our archives. We spent hundreds of hours creating
> WAV files from our Records (78s, 45s and LPs) and Tapes (reel to reel
> and casette). The WAV files were later ripped to MP3s. If anyone has
> written proof that any selections are not PUBLIC DOMAIN, please notify
> this Web-Site. Those selections will no longer be offered for TRADE or
> SALE.

I say they are NOT PD.
1.  They are advertised as from the 1920s-1030s.
2.  They are not for "safe backup" by the owner of the original disks.
3.  "Pre-1972" in the case of recordings from the 20s and 30s has no
bearing on the copyright limitation.
4.  The media change (called "time-shifting," I believe) has no bearing
on the copyright issues.

I'll provide the URL for any requests OFF-LIST.  I don't want to harm
the proprietors by publicly airing questionable linens.

Aside:  The site is not <http://honkingduck.com/dp/>, but that site
allows web access to similar records.  Apparently silenced in 2002
<http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=46490&messages=29#689738>, it's
back now <http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=49203>, with no
legal disclaimers.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info!