>   Here I sit with great analog recording gear and skill,
> admittedly  in the learning  stage, and nobody to record.
> I remember George  Goeble who said, "I feel like a tuxedo
> with a pair of brown shoes"

I heard some clips the other day from John Mellencamp's new
album (produced by T-Bone Burnett), which was recorded with
an Ampex and one Microphone, in 3 historic locations (First
African Baptist Church, Savannah, GA; Sun Studios, Memphis;
and room 414 of the Gunter Hotel, San Antonio, TX). I am
assuming this is the project that someone was trying to
scare up a recorder for on this list a while back. An
interview I saw said he found the recorder on ebay for $350.

One of the reviewers I heard thought the record was trash
because it was too "gimmicky", and thought that John was
pretentious for trying to walk in the footsteps of people
like Elvis and Robert. The other thought that the record was
great because it sounded great, and from what I heard, I
agree with him.

-Matt Sohn