  On 8/9/2010 12:29 PM, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:
> Great stories, thanks! Now, has anyone got all of the little Blues
> magazines Lenny put out?
> IIRC, it didn't last long, maybe 10 issues.
> Malcolm
>
> *******

It was at issue 14 in 1967, and sometime after he started to
"incorporate" it into the main magazine.  For some reason I never got a
set, only about two or 3 issues.  It was in 67 when I discovered RR on
the counter of a 78 store in the neighboring town of Hackensack, NJ.  I
bought the 3 or so different issues he had, one being the current one.
I bid on the auction and was flabbergasted to win about 20 of the 30
records I bid on.   I was working in Manhattan at the time and I called
Lenny and asked him if I could pick up my winnings to save the postage
-- all it would have cost me would be one addition subway fare to make a
detour on the way home from work.  I met Lenny, had a quick look around
the place that was stuffed totally with records, and met Bob Colton for
the one and only time.  A couple of issues later when I noticed one or
two of the available issue numbers removed, I sent in a check and rather
than order by number I asked for the earliest 25 or so, and got a couple
that were no longer on the available list.  There were only a few before
20, but I have NO 5 (which was still mimeographed) and 9 which was the
Bix issue.

There also were some copies of Record Americana, which were the Record
Research Bulletins. All are mimeographed. It turns out these were not
from before RR, they were supplements to RR.  Largely reports of
correspondence, there also are a few articles, reports on research and
results,  and some had auction lists.  These might have been sent to
subscribers free upon request.  I have #3 (unnumbered but it refers to
#s 1 & 2), 4, 8, 13, 14, and 15, the latter 3 being reports on RRA
meetings.  The material in these do seem to be a necessary component to
RR, as many of the letters are noted to be in response to RR items.

I also disagree with Mal and Steve S on the value of the auction lists,
although Steve seems to be OK with them as an appendix.  Mal is skipping
them altogether.  I find these lists -- and the ones that are in Record
Changer from the 30s and 40s -- to be fascinating and interesting
indicators of what was available back then and what was already
considered rare.  Not including them in some fashion means that the
originals would still be just as necessary.  It is just like removing
the ads from magazines -- often time you get more info from the ads than
from the articles, or there are often relationships between the ads and
the articles.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]