I can foresee a new show on History Channel: "American Record Pickers."  8>)
Don

In a message dated 8/11/2010 4:10:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Note that "THEY PLAN TO REFILL THE SKIP ALL WEEK"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This  is a wonderful story with a great twist of irony in the video.  One
British collector raves that this is like Christmas, but then an
American collector remarks that the great records are not to be found
here.  BUT, then comes a young British lass, obviously too young to
remember when this record came out, holding up the find that is
especially exciting for her because it contains the stars of the Goon
Show, Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan, and Harry Seacombe.  In case you  do
not recognize it -- the only other copy of this record I have ever seen
is the one I own, which friends mailed me from England when it was new
-- it is "How To Win An Election (or not lose by much)"  Philips AL  3464
(A10779L) written by Leslie Bricusse, and recorded in 1964 with  Sellers
doing his parts in the U.S. and mailing the tape to England.   Also in
her hand is "That Was the Week That Was" produced on Parlophone by
George Martin in between the first several Beatles albums.  I can't  see
if her copy is mono or stereo, but stereo copies were unobtainable in
England because they were all sent to the U.S. with Odeon labels pasted
over them.  I hadn't known it was available in the U.S. and my  friends
in England even tried a special order of the stereo but had to  send me a
mono.  I found my stereo copy several years later when The  Record Hunter
on 5th Ave were selling out the remainders of all of the  Odeon
paste-overs from Capitol Of The World.  I think that those two  albums
would fetch perhaps $50 U.S. each on Ebay.  What ELSE is in  the pile she
is holding???!!!!

Ironically a friend on Facebook  yesterday linked an article about some
swimming pools NYC has manufactured  out of dumpsters and are placing
them on city streets -- including Park  Ave just South of Grand Central
Terminal  -- and I replied that this  gives new meaning to dumpster
diving.  Then another friend said that  she hated shopping and I remarked
that I love to shop for books and  records but not cars.  Now comes THIS!

Actually Leah and I have a  reputation around ARSC of not feeling that
dumpster diving is beneath our  dignity when it comes to records.  And I
know of collections of Old  Time Radio that were found in dumpsters.
Some irreplaceable Columbia  matrix file cards were likewise retrieved
from an early form of  dumpster.

Back in the mid-60s I was in the middle of a mob scene at  Bambergers
Paramus NJ when they advertised an open-reel pre-recorded tape  sale at
$1 each for Saturday.  There was a mob of men at the doors  when it
opened at 10 AM and 600 tapes were gone in less than ten  minutes.  I
would dive in and grab an armful and toss back the ones I  didn't want
and go in for another armful.  It was a stereotypical mob  scene like in
Filiene's basement.  There was a similar but smaller  mob at Sam Goody's
Paramus one day in the mid-70s when they put out a  browser table which
had the entire Victor Vintage series cut-outs at $1.69  each.   That one
I lucked into because the cut-out and the sale  were both unannounced.

The records here bring to mind two things.   A few summers ago
Footlights in NYC sold out its store stock at  prices that eventually
reached down to 50 cents in a store which  specialized in rare shows and
personalities.  Leah and I went back  there maybe ten times that Summer
and got perhaps a thousand LPs.   Some 50 cent records had original price
tags of over $25 as they started  to bring out their back-room stock.
The other occasion these types  of records seen in the dumpster brings to
mind is the classical section in  this years Archive of American Music
sale in NYC.  Since they do not  collect classical, all classical was
priced at 50 cents.  Ironically,  many of them had stickers from my
favorite NYC store, Acadamy. for 10 or  25 cents!  I should have gotten
them there, and many times I  have.  Actually, one time Acadamy had five
sealed boxes of 75 or so  classical LPs by the door that were free.  So
the next morning I took  my car into the city and took the boxes.  The
Archive sale this year  had sealed boxes of about 100 classical LPs each
by the door that were $5  a box.  As we were getting close to 200 records
and LaserDiscs  already I didn't partake of any of the 5 buck boxes.

Then of  course there are the occasional library sales we have had at
ARSC and the  Belfer sales in Syracuse.  78 sales tend to be a little
more reserved  because of the fragility of the items,   Leah and I have
developed a teamwork approach at these massive competitive sales, and it
certainly helps me to have someone young and nimble to help grab and
guard, and having a second set of eyes on the lookout has been very
advantageous because she has found some great stuff I would have  missed.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]

On 8/11/2010  4:13 AM, Steve Abrams wrote:
> Here is a link to story and video  :
>
>  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10930145
>
>  SA

List"<[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Harold  Moores
>
>> Harold Moores is arguably the best record shop in  London.  Yesterday
they
>> closed for refurbishment.  With  permission from Westminster Council
they put
>> out 4,000 records in  a skip.  I gather there was a riot, thanks for
Twitter.