-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Weiner
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: Harold Moores

The worst "scene" I've ever experienced were several of the Lincoln Center
Performing Arts Library sales in the 80s - people would begin lining up
around 5 AM for the sale which began at 10.  The powers that be kept
rearranging the setup of these sales, but they always turned into a
free-for-all, with everyone piling in the revolving doors and racing up
stairs and down halls to the various rooms where records, books, playbills,
sheet music, posters and ephemera would be arrayed.  All duplicates from the
library's collection.  My friends and I all found fantastic stuff there, but
the pushing and shoving was a real pain.  People would grab things right out
of your hands and run, or sweep up everything in a box and stuff it into
boxes of their own to drag across the floor and sift through later.   Once,
while waiting on the huge line to pay, some guy stood at the top of a
staircase and screamed at us, "You're all ANIMALS! ANIMALS!"

Many times you'd see the life collection of a formerly famous performer,
musician or writer, all there for two bits.  The saddest assortment I
remember seeing was the memorabilia of comedian Harry Hershfield, who was
huge in his day.  His gold-plated membership card to the Lambs Club, all
manner of framed testimonials and gifts were sitting forlornly on a table,
marked between 25 and 50 cents apiece, with no takers.  One friend did buy a
souvenir megaphone that Rudy Vallee had given to Harry - for a buck!

Dave Weiner