On 8/14/2010 3:29 AM, Michel RUPPLI wrote:
> Michael has well  reported on going work on Columbia and Victor
> labels, as well as my past work on Decca label***
> *** Mike: all Decca imports were included in my Decca Discography -
> Vol. 5 pages 631-736.

Does it include issues in catalog number series 20000 and 25000?  This
came up in March on the 78-L because I only have your volume 6 -- the
numerical catalog number index -- while David Lennick has the whole
set.  He brought this up, I assume while referring to Vol 5.  He
mentions a 10-inch 20000 and 12-inch 25000 Decca Odeon-Parlophone series
which also used some English Decca masters.  Volume 6 shows these
numbers only being reused for a short-lived Plays series (Death of a
Salesman and The Council) and a popular Special Series respectively.
The ones he was talking about were:

I replied:
>>>  The 1941 POPULAR catalog shows the 20000 and
>>>  25000 series in the price list on the inside front cover but doesn't
>>>  list them in the catalog, along with most of the ethnic series such as
>>>  Irish, Mexican, Scotch, Race, West Indian, and Hill Billy.  Except for a
>>>  few of these that are numbered in the regular popular series -- mostly
>>>  for inclusion in an album -- those are in separate catalogs.

I also mentioned several other numerical series numbers which had been reused and both are included in your book, such as the two K- children's series and the two 29000 series.

Lennick also noted:

While we are at it, I found a few items in the preface to Vol 6 that need correction:

>  "After the war, a new peak in activity occurred.  Decca purchased
>  material from the Signature lanel and started reissuing vintage material
>  from Brunswick, using a revised Brunswick logo."

I'm not sure of the date of Signature material, but the Brunswick series began during the 1942 strike,in response to the Columbia reissues Avakian was doing.  Didn't Milt Gabler do these?  You then mention Coral and Vocalion as being started at the same time (after the war) but since Brunswick reissues had started in 1942, this is wrong.  Besides. these labels came about quite a bit after the war, closer to 1950.

But the biggest error is this:
"In the meantime, Jack Kapp, who had headed the label since the
beginning, resigned to form his own company and produce recordings under
the Kapp label (not included in this set)."

Jack Kapp DIED suddenly on March 28, 1949 at the age of 48.  His brother DAVE Kapp was the one who resigned a few years later and formed Kapp Records in 1954.

Relative small, but nagging problems, is such a great work!

Mike [log in to unmask]