  On 8/15/2010 10:32 AM, Randal Baier wrote:
> Well, Mike, speaking for all the jerks out here, I'd like to know the difference between the two. I certainly didn't catch that. Gee, I thought it was a cut, but I guess it was a slice.

They are two entirely different machines based on two entirely different
principles.  They are as different as an inkjet printer is from a dot
matrix printer is from a laser printer.   The program showed and
described a mimeograph but the guy the showed at that point described a
ditto, spirit duplicator, or hectograph.

The mimeograph was initially invented by Edison in conjunction with his
electric pen, and was developed into its main form by A.B . Dick.  A wax
paper stencil has the wax coating scraped or pressed away by a stylus or
a typewriter, and the thick, goooey ink can seep thru the stencil to the
paper where the wax was removed.  There is a cotton cloth-covered drum
or holder that is soaked with the ink from the back, and the stencil is
placed over it.  The ink STINKS with a HORRIBLE smell, not pleasant at
all.  If you use a typewriter the ribbon is removed or the machine is
put into the "stencil" position so the ribbon does not pop up.  You need
to have the metal type hit and cut the stencil's wax coating.  Thousands
of copies can be made if you are careful not to wrinkle or tear the
stencil because you can re-ink the cotton backing from behind.  If you
accidentally get ink on the front of the stencil by putting it on
backwards you have ruined it.  The ink comes thru the back.

The ditto machine used a plain paper where a carbon ink paper is behind
the paper.  You write or type on the front of the paper without cutting
thru it -- use the typewriter ribbon in normal position -- the carbon
ink gets deposited on the rear of the paper.  This stencil is then
placed on a plain solid metal drum with the inked surface outwards.  (If
you put it on backwards--no harm.  Just remove and put it on
correctly.)  There is a container where a clear spirit solvent is
poured.  This spirit fluid slightly dampens the printing paper which
picks up the ink as it passes thru the machine.  Because the PAPER is
dampened with the spirit solvant, it has that sweet smell for a few
hours.  Only a hundred or so copies can be made before the carbon ink on
the stencil gets used up.  While most of the carbon ink sheets are
purple, there were about five or ten different colors available, and you
can switch these carbon sheets and make a multi-colored stencil.  (You
have to use different machines with different stencils if you want to
have multi-colored mimeograph copies.  A separate stencil for each
color, and usually a different machine because it takes a half hour to
completely clean a machine!)

I hope this explains the differences.  I was ten years old when I was
trained on these machines at our summer camp "newspaper", so they were
not hard to master and to learn the differences.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]