From: timothy wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] help: 16MM mag sound film
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 7:20 PM

I would say that 3-trk is A standard, and not THE standard.  Originally 3-trk
was for mono recordings with separate dialog-music-effects (DME) as well as for
stereo music elements in a left-center-right (LCR) configuration.  In 1953 Fox
began making fullcoat 4-track LCRS(urround) mixes to accompany their new
Cinemascope format.  This included putting 4 thin mag tracks (2 on each side of
the perfs) on the release prints to be played in the theaters.  6-track mixes
have been around since at least the late 70s, and when I worked in film editing
this was the format that was delivered on fullcoat 35mm mag for the final print
master, as well as for all the test screenings we did.  Usually the basic
configuration for this was(is) LLcCRcRS (also referred to as a 5.1 sound), with
the S being the subwoofer, or boom.  Sometimes the 2nd and 4th channels are baby
booms.  70mm release prints have 6 thin mag strips surrounding the perfs.  Also,
there are Dolby stereo matrix prints, which are L and R tracks recorded on a
3-track head, with the 3rd track blank.  The 2 stereo tracks essentially become
LCRS when played through the Dolby matrix.  This configuration is called LtRt
(Left total-Right total).

I'm just scratching the surface here, and the non-engineer in me is probably
screwing up a lot of the technical descriptions, but just wanted to give my 2
cents of experience.

Tim Wilson
Preservationist
Audio Mechanics