Thanks Michael for the interesting addition to "film bugs" like ourselves; they are time capsules of our lives, and we've all been infected in some way or other.
In checking "The Student Prince", also thanks to your reposting of my email at the end of this, I realized that I must have been a theater projectionist in the Army one year longer, since it was released and shown in 1954, not 1955 as I originally thought.  I'll have to update my resume.
Rod

--- On Sat, 8/21/10, Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] help: 16MM mag sound film
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 2:43 PM

 On 8/20/2010 10:46 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> My point being...I STILL fondly recall a time when one went to "a movie/
> the movies" to be entertained...NOT to be part of a SERIOUS discussion
> of the particular film and its position in the all-encompassing "ranking"
> of CINEMA!!

Then you didn;'t run around in my crowd.  Even as a kid I remember discussions about the film technologies as they were ALL coming out in the early thru mid-1950s.  I was eight when they closed the Teaneck Theater for two weeks to put in the CinemaScope equipment and ALL us Jewish kids went to see The Robe because we knew there was something special about the screen and the sound.  I was ten when we went into NYC to see Oklahoma in Todd-AO, and then Carousel and The King and I in CinemaScope 55, and The Seven Little Foys in VistaVision.  I saw the revivals of the early Cinerama films on elementary school field trips.  Of course this was the town and the theater which spawned Leonard Maltin although I never knew him then because he was three or so years behind me and I was in college by the time he started Film Fan Monthly while he was in high school.  And I went to EVERY Film Society screening during my four undergraduate years at Temple, making it
 a point not to find out in advance what the film was so that I would never decide to miss one.  And I took every non-production film course Northwestern had during my four grad school years.

> There were a very few movies made with the intent of
> providing ENTERTAINMENT...and NOT as statements in the hierarchy
> of "important cinematic phenomena!!"
>
> Anyone else recall "Uptown Sarurdat Night" (which IIRC had a sequel?!)
> or "Support Your Local Sherriff"...?! OVERstudying is a VERY real danger...?!

I'm not sure of your point here, if you are being sarcastic or if some of your sentences are not formed correctly.  There are many films which seem to just be escapist schlock but can have inner meanings and techniques.  Most film makers are film enthusiasts.  But sometimes their main interest can be as an example of the technology.

> Do I start listening to my half-vast archive of 78's to try and figure
> out if the Eb in bar 23 is an important statement...to be studied
> and defined in university courses? After all.it COULD have been
> an E-natural...or an F...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

That is exactly how some recordings ARE examined, discussed, and written about.  Attend a Society for American Music conference or look thru their Journal.  Also the IAJRC.  We don't do it all that much in ARSC but it does happen there too.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]

From: "Roderic G Stephens" <[log in to unmask]>