Hi Tom,
dvdisaster will produce a bit-perfect iso file from a non-DRM DVD disc ... when it is possible. If the dvd is scratched or damaged it will report on in which sectors the error occurred and its status by using parity data per sector. Much of dvdisaster's documentation regards making additional parity data files, the .ecc files, but if you just run with the 'Read' option you'll be able to generate a file-based iso image of the source DVD disc with the technical reporting about the actual read to verify the exactness of the effort (save the reporting data from the 'View Log' dialog).
See: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdisaster/ http://dvdisaster.net
Dave Rice
avpreserve.com