From: Jonathan Ward <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, August 4, 2010 1:17:57 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Encylopedic Discography of Victor Recordings: Asian
Recordings Project

In 1902-1903, with a series of discs featuring traditional Chinese
opera, the Victor Talking Machine Company began recording the music of
Asian cultures, and subsequently marketing those records to Asian
communities in the United States. In the ensuing years, Victor expanded
its reach to Asia itself, eventually opening thriving offices in both
China and Japan. Between the early 20th century and 1940, Victor had
issued thousands of discs for Asian markets. While they focused
predominantly on the traditional and popular music of Japan and China,
Victor and its satellite offices also recorded the music of the
Philippines, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, as well as a few Indian
recordings. Chinese opera from Fuzhou, Korean aak court music,
Vietnamese cải lương – Victor recorded it all.

Unfortunately, very little original documentation on Victor’s master
recordings for Asian markets has been preserved. The editorial staff at
UC Santa Barbara's Encylopedic Discography of Victor Recordings (EDVR)
has begun surveying and collecting extant documentation, and with the
assistance of scholars and collectors, we are researching the scope of
Victor’s Asian output. The end result will be a definitive overview of
the range of recordings produced, the series names and numbers, the
number of master recordings released (or reissued), and the genres
recorded. The eventual goal is to gather enough information, including
label scans, to include Victor's Asian issues in the EDVR.

As an example, a detailed survey of the 42000 10" double-faced Chinese
series has been completed and other similar surveys are under way to
help us better understand the extent of Victor's Asian operations.
Victor's 42000 double-faced Chinese series began ca. 1910 and initially
contained both original recordings, as well as recouplings of Victor's
earlier single faced Chinese issues from as early as 1902. As Victor
continued recording Chinese language masters, it became the primary
series for recordings marketed to Chinese in the US and in Asia and
contained a variety of Chinese dialects. The last 42000 was issued
sometime in the teens, but the 43000 series continued on until the late
1920s. To see our survey of the 42000 series by dialect (or language),
please visit this link:

http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/resources/detail/82

For any questions, or if you wish to participate in the project, contact:

Jonathan Ward, Associate Editor for Asia
Encyclopedic Discography of Victor Recordings