Hello ARSD,

I'm having difficulties in digitizing one specific audio cassette. A historian use this cassette, recorded over, to interview individuals (folklore) and himself. Originally, this cassette contained instrumental music (produced commercially).

Even after fast forwarding and rewinding the above cassette, the tape speed playback was very problematic (inaudible: dragging, fluctuating speeds, stops). To remedy, I've successfully transferred the tape into another housing, changed spools (Maxell UR).

Results? Playback speeds fluctuation are almost resolved (some problematic portions), and playback will stops abruptly (one specific portion). The tape doesn't seem to be soiled or dirty.

Any suggestions? From many others alternatives, I could isolate problematic portions, then splice them into another housing. I've even played this cassette with the unused decks (two double cassette decks).

The above issue seems to be tape quality related.

Thanks for your patience and replies.

Robert Richard

Centre d'études acadiennes Anselme-Chiasson
Université de Moncton
Moncton, Nouveau-Brunswick E1A 3E9
Canada

506-858-4724