From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Mitch Miller RIP

In the (few) obits I've read for Mitch Miller, I didn't see any mention of his early role in Mercury Records, which was important for the young independent company.  Miller was an oboe player, Eastman School trained. He was hired at Mercury by John Hammond and he, Hammond and David Hall comprised the company's earliest classical-music staff. Miller recorded an album of oboe/chamber orchestra music for Mercury, as well as worked on the "Charlie Parker with Strings" sessions for Norman Granz. At that time, Granz was affiliated with Mercury.

After Miller went to Columbia and, among many other things, founded the famous 30th Street studio, he continued to moonlight with other projects. One on-going thing for him in the 50's and 60's was conducting, arranging and producing sessions for Little Golden Book kiddie records. He did some of these sessions at Fine Sound and then Fine Recording.

Some of the obits and tributes struck me as very ironic. Miller was portrayed as this old fuddy-duddy of suburbia in the age of rock and roll with his sing-along show. The goatee should have slain that myth. Both Miller and Hammond were cutting-edge dudes in their time, very much on the forefront of music and intellectual thought, and far left of the mainstream in their social and political views. They were progressives before there was such a term.

Mitch Miller did much for the music business, and for Mercury and then Columbia Records. May he rest in peace.

-- Tom Fine