From: Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, August 12, 2010 12:20:56 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Who's still listening to vinyl? - CNN.com

On 8/12/2010 6:45 AM, Tom Fine wrote:
> Some of these "I-reports" definitely bring out the fetishistic aspects of vinyl
>collecting -- the touching and smelling of LPs, the drama and ritual of
>de-sleeving, cleaning, playing, and re-sleeving, and of course the deep
>psychological implications of having hundreds of pounds of semi-antique media
>clogging a living space.
>
> -- Tom Fine
> (owner of thousands of semi-antique media and several turntables -- sick, sick,
>sick ;) )

My favorite posting is the 14 year old girl (WHY is she using the screen name
"Enema"??) who got interested in vinyl when she found her grandmother's
collection in the attic.  Although I had been playing records since I was 2 or
3, I got my real start in collecting when I came across my father's 78s in the
attic when I was about 8.  I was taken back to the flapper era of the roaring
20s just like this girl is being taken back to the era of the 60s.  If this
happens enough maybe record collecting will not die out -- although I wish this
girl had found 78s and is being taken back to the roaring 20s!  However,
thinking of this girl as a "vinyl fetishist" brings in a whole 'nuther meaning!

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]

From: "Thomas Stern" <[log in to unmask]>