Please excuse the cross-posting of this message to multiple lists.
NOTE: Please do not forward this invitation to other institutions or to online lists without consulting the NACO training coordinators on the LC Cooperative Programs Section: Gracie Gilliam ([log in to unmask]) or Carolyn Sturtevant ([log in to unmask]) Thank you for your cooperation.
PCC NACO Training Workshop
Library of Congress (LC)
Adams Building, LA 100
First and Independence Avenues, SE
Washington, DC 20540-4230
Monday, September 20 – Friday, September 24, 2010
The Cooperative Programs Section will offer a five-day course on NACO name authorities at the Library of Congress, September 20-24, 2010, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. The target audience is cataloging staff from new or existing PCC NACO institutions. Materials focus on application of AACR2 and LCRIs, and classroom sessions will include instruction by NACO trainers, exercises, and a hands-on practice module in which participants create records for materials from their own collections.
Special note: at the time of this announcement, we are tentatively considering filming portions of this event for future use by other groups seeking NACO instruction. Participants may be asked to sign consent forms to allow their images, voices, or questions to be included in the finished video.
Participants must pre-register for this workshop by the deadline: August 17, 2010
1. Participants will complete and submit the PCC membership application to provide current information on their institutions’ collections and program leadership.
2. Each institution will be responsible for its participant’s travel and accommodation costs. There is no fee for the class itself.
3. Participants will be asked to download and print training manuals to bring with them. Instructions will be included with confirmation notices.
4. Programs at the Library of Congress programs comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If special accommodations are needed for any participant to attend this class, please include pertinent information when emailing about interest in the course.
Registration Procedures and Deadline: Tuesday, August 17, 2010
1. Send an email to [log in to unmask] with the name(s), email, and telephone number of anyone interested in attending the session. Include ADA accommodations if needed.
2. Submit the PCC membership application to update institutional information. http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/naco/nacoappl.html
3. Please wait for a confirmation of participation in the course before making any non-refundable travel arrangements. Confirmations will be sent by: Friday, August 20, 2010
Participants may make their own arrangements for accommodations, or may book a hotel room under the special government rate agreement at the Holiday Inn, Capitol (www.hicapitoldc.com), just two Metro stops from the Library of Congress. You will receive more information about this option and the special reservation code when you receive a confirmation of attendance at the workshop.
The Library is accessible by Metrorail from both the Blue and Orange lines at the Capitol South Station.
Please address any questions to the NACO training coordinators for this event:
Gracie Gilliam ([log in to unmask])
Carolyn Sturtevant ([log in to unmask])
Cooperative Programs Section
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540-4230