On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Andy Mabbett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> On the WHATWG (HTML5 working group) wiki, to which I referred earlier, I
> have just sketched a tentative proposal for a "certainty" attribute for
> the new TIME element:
>
>   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Time_element#Fuzzy_dates
>
> This will allow for "circa" "flourished" and otherwise vague or "fuzzy"
> dates, as desired by EDTF.
>
> Comments and suggestions for improvements would be welcome, here or there.

While I definitely think the use case is important, I'm of the very
strong opinion that an extended data-time format ought to be
self-contained, and so not rely on format-specific extensions like
X/HTML attributes. One ought to be able to use the same representation
in an HTML attribute, or a JSON or RDF value, and losslessly convert
among them.

For that reason, I very much prefer the current draft idea in EDTF of
doing "2000?" or "2000~".

Bruce