Michele,

As far as I know, Oxygen won't split one element into two by hitting enter within the tag.  (Just saw Mike's update about splitting tags;  couldn't get Crtl-Alt-X or Crtl-Alt-D to do it.)

However, there is a way to select an entire element and it's contents.  To do so, you need to enable the outline view panel (Perspective -> Show View -> Outline).  It's basically a collapsible tree version of the elements contained in the document.  Clicking on an element will select all the associated code in the document, including child elements and all their contents.

Nathan