Hi,

Any suggestions on expressing Washington, DC in mods:hierarchicalGeographic?

We are doing a project to describe early American land records.

In most cases we are dealing with a state, so we do the following:
            <mods:subject>
                        <mods:hierarchicalGeographic>
                                    <mods:state>Massachusetts</mods:state>
                                    <mods:city>Boston</mods:city>
                        </mods:hierarchicalGeographic>
            </mods:subject>

In the TGN, District of Columbia is labeled as a "national district."  And MARC has:
$b - First-order political jurisdiction (NR)
$c - Intermediate political jurisdiction (R)
which would work.

So, any thoughts on how to do Washington, DC in MODS?

Thanks,

Betsy

Betsy McKelvey
Digital Collections Librarian