From: Metadata Object Description Schema List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Elizabeth McKelvey [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 10:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MODS] Expressing Washington, DC

Hi,

Any suggestions on expressing Washington, DC in mods:hierarchicalGeographic?

We are doing a project to describe early American land records.

In most cases we are dealing with a state, so we do the following:

            <mods:subject>

<mods:hierarchicalGeographic>

<mods:state>Massachusetts</mods:state>

<mods:city>Boston</mods:city>

</mods:hierarchicalGeographic>

</mods:subject>

In the TGN, District of Columbia is labeled as a national district.  And MARC has:

$b - First-order political jurisdiction (NR)

$c - Intermediate political jurisdiction (R)

which would work.

So, any thoughts on how to do Washington, DC in MODS?

Thanks,

Betsy

Betsy McKelvey

Digital Collections Librarian