Martijn -

There has been some work to publish archival description in EAD as
linked data. In my opinion, the most interesting developments are
those by the LOCAH project in the UK:
<http://blogs.ukoln.ac.uk/locah/>

I gave a talk at the Cornell University Library's Metadata Working
Group last February outlining possibilities, theoretical aspects, and
inherent problems with publishing archival description as linked data,
which you can find here: <http://hdl.handle.net/1813/14512>. One of
the recent blog posts on the LOCAH blog goes into some of the issues
that I discuss in my presentation albeit into significantly more
detail.

I also run a discussion list on Semantic Web applications in archives:
<http://groups.google.com/group/semantic-archives>.

My largest concern about possibility of representing archival
description in RDF is the lack of a formal data model for archival
description. EAD is a document model based on "traditional" finding
aids.

Mark A. Matienzo
Digital Archivist, Manuscripts and Archives
Yale University Library