No, it is not more of the same.  Shared catalogers in many institutions,
such as mine, do not catalog using non-standard records and try not to use
duplicates.  So when they find a record that has a level of blank or I,
they will use it and expect the authority conflict and error detection
programs to catch any authority problem.  At best that means more manual
intervention for the individual doing the authority maintenance.  A more
distressing idea is that of duplicate files for the same person.

If the test is putting materials into an existing database without
attempts to reconcile the problems that result and if the test is not
considering the effects of these changes on existing files, then the test
is not doing everything it should be.

Finally,  why are we talking about implementing something that, regardless
of its benefits, is so incomplete as RDA?

Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM  88003