Bob,
Actually, we continued using large numbers of pre-AACR2 forms in
established NARS until 10 years or so after the introduction of AACR2.
Remember all of those AACR-2 compatible headings?  The context was also
quite different.  Libraries were still using local card catalogs, and the
question of integrating headings was largely a mechanical one.  Global
heading change in an online catalog was a long ways off in 1981.

My problem is with the havoc that full-level or pcc RDA records used by
shared catalogers will create.  There will be extra work for the
authorities librarian or split headings that exist for no good reason.
So, I do think that libraries who are creating RDA records should use
existing NARS in the "master" record in WorldCat.  They can do what they
want in their own catalog.  They might also tell us what they are doing
about the authority problems that result from the combination of RDA and
AACR2 headings.

If and when RDA is adopted, I would like to trust that there will be
guidelines for integrating RDA headings into existing files.

Larry

Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian
New Mexico State University