Mr. Hall and others

As an aside, I wonder if the old prescription to use a full, formal name in
TDs and ETDs is loosening?

My institution's policy is full legal name.

I am amazed at the number of institutions that create authority records for
authors of theses or dissertations.  Just last week I made a duplicate
authority record for a speaker at an annual lectureship series at my
institution because his preferred usage was radically different from the
required full legal name required by the degree granting institution.  I
never imagined that an authority record would have been made for an author
whose only work was a thesis or dissertation.

I made an appointment with the assistant to the graduate dean to ask if a
blank could be put on the library reproduction permission form that asks for
the preferred name.  The assistant completely understood the problem because
the name by witch everyone knows her is a nickname.  She thought it was a
good a idea.  So beginning with the next round of theses and dissertations,
I will be making authority records for our graduates, based on their
preferred usage.

I appreciate hearing all this from all of you.

Gary Oliver
Abilene Christian University