From: john g marr <[log in to unmask]>

To: [log in to unmask]

Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 12:41:35 -0600

Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Theses name hdgs.(headings) -- birthdates?

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Bob Hall wrote:

> We formulate the heading as to the way it appears on the chief source.

  Again (as with other topics) it is not entirely clear whether all folks

responding to this thread are talking about NACO records or exclusively

local authority records.  Anything goes locally, but NACO exists to

standardize conformity with LC practices.

   Also, it is good practice to understand that online records available to

all libraries are capable of being revised at will (no more "liquid

paper"), and that policies suggesting revision of "preliminary"

thesis-author headings once those authors pick "preferred" name forms

(previously called "published" name forms) would be reasonable.

Cheers!

jgm

                                             John G. Marr

                                             Cataloger

                                             CDS, UL

                                             Univ. of New Mexico

                                             Albuquerque, NM 87131

     **There are only 2 kinds of thinking: "out of the box" and "outside

the box."

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but

sharing is permitted.