This was discussed in May at the BIBCO and CONSER Operations Committees
meeting.  I raised a number of concerns about all the options and the
implications for authority records and particularly for those of us who
are using network level catalogs like WorldCat Local.  If we as an
institution want to follow one option and another PCC library follows a
different option, then we get into the position of having to change the
form of the non-Latin access points on bibliographic records so that our
catalog (OCLC) shows the forms the way we want.  This is an untenable
situation.

I also raised the issue that at some point we are supposed to have
guidelines for the "correct" form of non-Latin references in authority
records and perhaps even some day we will wish to designate preferred
non-Latin forms.  In order to have such guidelines, we need to come up
with an agreed form for references that we all will follow.  I was hoping
that the guidelines for bibliographic records would help get us there, but
they do not.

I am not persuaded by the problems some have in inputting dates and other
qualifiers for right to left scripts.  These additions can be made,
there's no technical issue, at least in OCLC.  Yes, it's a little
complicated, and can look a bit odd, but it's doable and it's learnable.

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900