Dear all--

I would feel much more comfortable relying on *fact* rather than *
speculation*.  Of all the names occuring in the authority file, how many of
these persons have been the object of identity theft BECAUSE OF the
information that someone found in the authority file?  The criminal element
(not that I so familiar with them individulally, of course) has been know to
target the dead as well.  Does that mean that we should go back and remove
information on Mark Twain, too?

From any random scan of personal name headings, one is struck more
frequently by the *absence* rather than the *presence* of birth dates and
other such information.  So we really aren't talking about the major of name
headings created in the first place ... but rather the minority.

As for including the info based on the vita, anyone with access to the
author's dissertation can get that data.  Our institution makes all of our
Ph. D. dissertations available full-text online from any workstation in the
university.  In other words, the criminal element has ample open access to
the data without any mediation or facilitation on our part.

Yes, I agree, it's a possibility.  However, think of the SSDI ... All of
these "marks" are dead and can't come back to complain.  Having that whole
database out there for G** and all creation would seem a much more
attractive target ... that is, if I had a criminal bent.

Richard

--
Richard C. Amelung, Ph. D.
Associate Director