Good morning, all,

 ... short, simple and sweet:

If there is a vita and there is a birthdate, we use it.
If there is another bib. record for an earlier degree/technical report from another institution with a birthdate in the hdg., we use it.
We get a list of birthdates from the Registrar's office, and we use it to to confirm the birthdate.

If there is not a birthdate available and there is a conflict, we look for additional elements to make the name unique:
middle name
middle initial
suffix (i.e. Jr., III)
 ... (read: something!)
If there is STILL a conflict, we append the following to the hdg.: $c <degree> $u <institution affiliation>
Reason: LTI is extremely robust ...

Author's preference trumps all.  I they request a name change; be it a married name, a preferred form of name, or the removal of a birthdate, we change the hdg,.

If I create a NACO name hdg, and there is conversation between the author of the thesis, I record it in a 670:
Author's preferred form of name
Author requests birthdate of [ - ] be removed from hdg.

Birthdates are not confidential; however, the source of ours is from the Registrar's Office.  Hence, this information is then considered private/confidential.

Hope this helps.

Best.

Rob -- MIT.

--