Following the example Mike proposes--I have a book on raising angora goats
published in Spain by author Juan Gomez, and I see an authority record for
"Gomez, Juan" with the title "Aerodynamics of paper airplane design" in a
670. A second look up tells me the 670 book is published in the US. The
question is, are these the same person? While it's true that I can't
definitively say they are different people without knowing some unique fact
for both of them, e.g., that they have different birth dates, I can
nevertheless use cataloger's judgment, which tells me that it's highly
likely that these are two people. My contention is that our accuracy rate
for correctly distinguishing people with common names would be significantly
better if we had rules in place that enabled us to make and apply such
judgments, rather than bundling persons we are virtually certain are
different people onto undifferentiated authorities. In practice, it's rare
to see anyone left on an undifferentiated authority when a date is
discovered for the person. By Mike's reasoning, if I found the plane
designer and the goat raiser sharing an undifferentiated authority and then
found a date for the goat raiser, I could do nothing--I still wouldn't have
definitive proof that they're different people. But in practice, such date
discoveries regularly account for the creation of a new, unique authority,
as the PERSNAME-L list attests. We do use judgment in these cases when the
rules allow us to. Separating heading strings from differentiation would
enable us to apply such judgment in all cases.

The advantage of moving to identifiers for managing the uniqueness of
entities is that they provide a stronger basis for assembling linked data.
For example, if OCLC modified its use of "controlled heading" links to
enable an auxiliary display of bib data linked to a given authority, I could
see more information about the plane designer noted above with my first
look-up. The authority record could reach out and find a set of titles
positively identified as being by my author by another cataloger. That would
make my searching easier.

There are lots of ways this could work and could look, and ways it would
still be vulnerable to careless data entry; but on the whole, I think we'd
be better off.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries