While I understand Mr. Randall's desire to test the new cataloging rules, I
believe that he, and the others involved in RDA testing, should be aware
that their records are being used in a live database, and not a closed test
system. That being the case, they are being used by library cataloging
units populated by staffs with varying levels of cataloging knowledge and
ability.

In our library, for example, because of the volume of books passing
through, there is a copy cataloging unit that processes ELvl blank/I/4
records without checking or altering them, assuming that all information is
correct. They would not be able to tell that a name has been used that is
not authorized. Even librarians in our organization, since we are not an
RDA test site, are not aware of all differences between RDA and AACR2, so
we cannot simply "be aware of [RDA] and take whatever steps [we] need to
accommodate it" as Mr. Randall suggests.

I do not believe that using existing name authorities is somehow
undermining RDA, or making "hybrid records", as another person suggested.
In AACR2 we frequently use name forms that are in the authority file that
are not as we would have created. But we respect the integrity of name
authorities, and their vital importance in library recall. Recall is, I
believe, the point of cataloging, and what should always be considered of
primary importance, instead of quibbles about which rule sets are followed.

Deborah Tomaras, NACO Coordinator
Librarian II
Western European Languages Team
New York Public Library