I think anyone interested in implementing, not just testing, RDA should be
paying close attention to what Deborah Tomaras is saying. The difficulty of
implementing RDA across our large and diverse cataloging community goes up
considerably without some kind of compatibility convention to preserve the
LCNAF as a single, consistent, integrated file for authorizing name
headings. Such a convention eased the earlier transition to AACR2, and would
serve us well in this case.

Specifically, the convention would state that name and title headings on bib
records coded "LDR/18=a" (AACR2) or "040 $e rda" are in principle authorized
by the LCNAF. Over time, authorities in the LCNAF will be revised from AACR2
to RDF, differing AACR2 forms can be retained in 4XXs as pre-AACR2 forms
were, and the task of managing this transition will be a lot simpler.

I accept that things will be confusing during testing, and acknowledge that
LC cannot publish decisions about the test until the test is completed. But
perhaps the Coordinating Committee could communicate that a compatibility
option has not been ruled out if the decision to implement RDA is made.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries