Deborah Tomaras wrote:

> The difference is that these RDA records are being put in the catalog as
> ELvl blank/I/4 or 042 PCC. In other words, they are seen by many
cataloging
> units as above reproach, well constructed, completely authority
controlled,
> etc. Thus they do not fall under librarian oversight, but are being
> accepted by many institutions AS IS by less-trained cataloging assistants,
> or perhaps by harried, under-funded small library catalogers. Thus the
> authority problems created by RDA records are slipping into catalogs,
often
> without knowledge by the accepting library that it is being done. Whereas
> non-standard record would be given to a librarian to fix, or a duplicate
> would be reported to OCLC for deletion. RDA records cannot be reported,
and
> cannot be fixed, since they are apparently following test practice when
> entering these non-authorized name forms.

These records are also being coded SPECIFICALLY as non-AACR2.  That is,
Leader/18 is blank or "i".  According to the rules being followed, the
records ARE (intended to be) "above reproach, well constructed, completely
authority controlled, etc."  They just aren't following AACR2, they're
following RDA--and emphatically telling us so in 040 $e.  Maybe it's not as
convenient having to look there, but the presence of blank or "i" in
Leader/18 should be somewhat of a clue.  Leader/17 is not, and never has
been, the be-all, end-all of indicating what standards are being used in the
record.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.