  At University of Maryland, names on bibliographic records created for
for theses and dissertations by copy catalogers are checked against our
online catalog and the LC Authority File for possible name conflicts.
Names with conflicts are passed on for resolution to a cataloger who has
authorization to access public information on the University of Maryland
Student Information System. The name conflicts are subsequently broken
by adding birth dates to the name headings on the bibliographic records
of the theses and dissertations.  When appropriate, name authority
records are made for the authors who have or are likely to have
bibliographic records in OCLC.

Gerry Park

--
Gerry Park
General Resources Cataloging Unit Head/Cataloger