At University of Maryland, names on bibliographic records created for for theses and dissertations by copy catalogers are checked against our online catalog and the LC Authority File for possible name conflicts.  Names with conflicts are passed on for resolution to a cataloger who has authorization to access public information on the University of Maryland Student Information System. The name conflicts are subsequently broken by adding birth dates to the name headings on the bibliographic records of the theses and dissertations.  When appropriate, name authority records are made for the authors who have or are likely to have bibliographic records in OCLC.

Gerry Park