It is my understanding that these fields will be used for automated BFM at some point after the test has concluded. I would venture to say you could disregard them in your local database management workflow.

Cheers,
Casey

On 10/21/2010 5:21 AM, Lasater, Mary Charles wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
All,

I'm broadening the previous topic a bit because our local system just failed to load some updated geographic authority records... Michigan, North Carolina, etc. because of a new linking field in the authority format.

I looked at the MARC documentation but I do not see a practical use for the 751 so I'm wondering why I should bother with all the work of now manually replacing these records. I'm also wondering why I haven't seen discussion.

If there is a practical reason, would someone share that with me? Point me to discussion?

Thanks,

Mary Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 4:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Completion of the work of PCC SCS Non-Latin Script Cataloging Documentation TF

This was discussed in May at the BIBCO and CONSER Operations Committees
meeting.  I raised a number of concerns about all the options and the
implications for authority records and particularly for those of us who
are using network level catalogs like WorldCat Local.

--
Casey A. Mullin
Discovery Metadata Librarian

--

"Those who need structured and granular data and the precise retrieval that results from it to carry out research and scholarship may constitute an elite minority rather than most of the people of the world (sadly), but that talented and intelligent minority is an important one for the cultural and technological advancement of humanity. It is even possible that if we did a better job of providing access to such data, we might enable the enlargement of that minority."
-Martha Yee