Wojciech Siemaszkiewicz wrote:

> If this is a foregone conclusion, why bother with a test?

For exactly the reasons I cited:  "The value in the RDA test will be in
finding out how well the guidelines work, how well the new records play with
others, what options are better than others, and just overall what would be
the best way to implement RDA."

Having a testing methodology, and a discrete set of records (created by
people trained to participate in the test) to analyze, will likely tell us a
*lot* more than just having an unknown number of catalogers dive into using
RDA right away.  ("Unknown" being probably any random number between 3 and
30,000...)  There is a lot we don't know about actually preparing for and
using RDA and its resulting records, and finding out those things will help
greatly toward some sort of coordinated implementation down the line.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.
Northwestern University Library